Sibleyport, NE, USA | Web Development Skills For Kids
Location: Sibleyport, NE, USA
Goal: Increase Web Development Skills in Kids aged 10-18
Date started: 21st July 2014
Goal Completion Date: July 2017
Situation Description: In this new economy, we have to equip our children with the skills necessary to succeed. Skills in coding and web development are increasingly in demand as we advance into this digital age.
It is of paramount importance that the youngsters of the next generation not be left behind. It is no secret that coding and design are some of the most sought after skills for any business. It is an asset to anyone, regardless of their chosen field.
These design skills will also empower our youth to be able to start their own businesses, which will help to improve our own local economy. At the end of the day, it is very important that our children and teens go out into the world of work with an asset that will help them to stand out from the crowd.
Promoting the acquisition of computer skills is also important for the retention of our population. If more kids are able to work from home and earn a substantial income, it will reduce the lure of the big cities. Studies have shown that the earlier kids are introduced to coding and design, the more talented they become as they grow older.
They are also more confident in their skills than someone who starts as an adult. It’s similar to learning a language. It’s a lot easier to pick up and become fluent in a language the earlier you are exposed to it.
As a community it is imperative that we do our best to instill the skills in our kids, whether they become the CEO of a new startup or they live a comfortable life working their home office, the possibilities are endless.
Actions: In order to increase awareness about opportunities as well as promote design and coding skills in our youth, we are planning to implement a 3 year program.
• Web Career Day: Similar to a traditional career day, but with speakers working in the internet marketing and web design industry. We will have speakers from Website Brokerage Firm Digital Exits, Team Treehouse, an online school for coding and design, and Bruce Clay Inc, an internet marketing firm.
• Implementation of a fun 1 year beginners coding and design series for all ages. This programme will introduce them to the FUNdamentals of web design and coding. It will teach them all about the history of coding and how to hand code their own simple websites and mobile apps.
• Intermediate Program: All students who complete the beginners course will have the option of proceeding to the intermediate course. This course will introduce more advanced concepts and introduce them to more complex languages such as Ruby and Python.
• The final stage, the Advanced Course will be project based, and guide students along to creating their first website and mobile app which would be fit for commercial release. While other kids are out using Facebook and Pinterest, our kids will be creating their own versions of them.
• Bonus: There will also be a bonus course centered around marketing strategy and branding.
All courses will be taught by industry experts from top internet marketing and design firms. All volunteers have on-the-ground experience, have worked in the industry and are passionate about educating the younger generation
The courses will be 100% free for students and will not be mandatory.